In the ideal smile, the upper lip sits just above the top of the teeth. A “gummy smile,” however, exposes a larger than average amount of gum tissue when smiling and has a noticeably disproportionate gum to tooth ratio.
Gummy smiles can be corrected with a number of different treatments, including gum contouring. Pasadena area patients everywhere are singing the praises of Dr. Nelson’s ability to perfectly balance their smiles into works of art.’
Ask us how gummy smile correction can improve your smile!
Causes of a Gummy Smile
There are several possible causes of gummy smiles, including:
- An excessive display of gum tissue in your upper jaw can result from the abnormal eruption of the teeth. Teeth covered by excessive gum tissue appear short, even though they may actually be the proper length.
- The muscle that controls the movement of your upper lip could be hyperactive, causing your upper lip to rise up higher than normal. When this occurs, more of your gum tissue is exposed when you smile.
- The manner in which your upper jaw bone grew and developed could cause the appearance of a gummy smile. For instance, if there was an excessive bulging protrusion of the upper jaw within the gum tissue, you would experience an obvious gummy appearance when you smile.
The optimal smile line appearance should reveal a small amount of gum tissue. Gum tissue visible in the smile line should have balanced, even contours that are in harmony with the upper lip. It is for this reason that many people with a gummy smile or excessive gingival display feel their smile to be unattractive, oftentimes feeling reluctant to smile at all.
Gummy Smile or Big Smile
- Gingivectomy (Gingival Plastic Surgery)
- Surgical lip repositioning (Lip Lowering surgery) can usually be performed using only local anesthesia. First, Dr. Nelson will make a set of careful incisions in the existing tissue that connects your lip to your gums.
These incisions are made entirely inside in the gum and your upper lip. Then, he uses a technique that limits the vertical movement of the upper lip, which will keep the lip closer to your teeth when you smile. You can start enjoying attractive gums and smiling with total confidence when you choose gummy smile correction surgery.
- Orthodontics (Braces) to move the teeth into more suitable positions.
- Surgical Sculpting of the gingival tissues and bone to create healthier and more attractive looking gum contours (Crown Lengthening Surgery) This treatment, when indicated, is the most permanent solution.
For the latest in Pasadena gum contouring and gummy smile correction, contact Dr. Nelson today!